Monday, February 9, 2009

No Chickpeas? Really?

I'm not really a list generating person, so this is a skill I am slowly coming to appreciate. Maybe it's just age. Anyway, we are in the list making process. Lists of what to bring. Lists of what we need to do yet. Lists of who we need to call. Lists of who is going to take over what students. Lists of prices to attempt to plan a budget. I now have a small folder of lists and my computer monitor looks like an orange and yellow ad for Post-it(R).


As we read random websites (the few there are) about our soon to be new city, I stumbled on a forum which people are discussing things they miss from home. This past week one of my lists has been "small lightweight things to bring that will make us feel @ home". Really, most things you can get in any city, anywhere. Granted, for price perhaps, but most things you can find anywhere. For J and I, having friends over and cooking is one of our great pleasures. So, we figure we'll bring 3 of our kitchen knives and some spices; I highly doubt I'll find Ethiopian Mitmita in NK. Other things I am mentally preparing for; I am mourning the lose of cheese. It's too expensive upcountry..basically sold for foreigners. But from what I am reading dried beans/legumes are also hard to come by. (More than one person has complained about this.) I'm having a hard time believing it. So, it's added to my list of questions for our friends there. "Are there really no chickpeas?!!" Hmm. Or maybe they'll think alas, this girl is too crazy. Will we be packing a few dried bags of chickpeas in our 70 pound limit of baggage so I don't die of Hummus withdrawal? AHH!

Kidding. We wouldn't die. But I think a bag may work it's way onto the list.... just in case. : D

OK, since this post isn't going anywhere; I know you all have more important things to be doing now than reading this. Me too... thanks for letting me take my coffee break with you. :D

Enjoy your day!

3 comments:

Alan said...

Hummus?! AHHH!
I love food. Yeah, I heard someone suggest for some people going somewhere that they bring their own spices and such (even the basics) to cook with. I'm going to HK, and am hoping I can get my hands on most everything I'll need. Looking forward to hearing about how your new culinary environment will be working out.

Unknown said...

No worries, we would be happy to send you some chickpeas when you run out!!... I am sure they are safe to send... :0)

Jeff and Meli said...

hey we just came back from koh chang the beach was awesome oh and yeah no chickpeas.