Today, today we got Internet. Actually, I will add, we got the Internet working. I feel like such a falang (foreigner) insisting on having Internet in our home. But, to work and pay the rent it needed to happen. Not to mention keeping in touch with friends, family and doings there. So, First, they came to install it. (DSL) Lines had to be run down our Soi (street) as we are the last house on the end. (For a fee..of course) They showed up in a little mini pick-up that has done some mudding earlier with bamboo ladders. Neither installer spoke a word of English so we just did allot of nodding and pointing. They left before we thought to check to see if it was working. Nope. Shoulda known. That led to two days of me on the phone trying to be the sweetest nicest falang saying "I'm so sorrrrryyyyy I don't speak Thai... my Internet isn't working..." The nice lady on the end asked what name the account was in (our neighbors, Internet/phone has to be in a Thai name..) hmmm... errr... as I struggle to read the Thai writing. Then she asked for my address. Well, we don't really know. No one around here actually uses an "address". It's more like, it's near this wat (temple) off this street at the end of the lane. Once again, I muttered "I'm so sorrrrryyyyy I don't speak Thai... my Internet isn't working..." and managed to give my customer no. that was on the invoice in Thai. "OK, I will send technician tomorrow." Great I think. Yeah. Tomorrow comes, technician calls and then hangs up on me, which I don't blame him. No Thai, No English. Once again I go through the process of calling the center and the same sweet voice says " OOOOOOO you call yesterday. Technician no come?" "No." "Did he call?" " Yes, but I am very sorry, can you tell him I'm so sorrrrryyyyy I don't speak Thai... my internet isn't working..." "OK. I tell him hurry". "OK" After waiting two hours I am about to give up and go to the construction site to once again beg someone to translate. (I feel horrible doing this, as stated, we are pretty much the only ones with Internet so it feels a little awkward.) I find the technicians number and go to get my account number when VIOLA the router's lights are ON. The stats read "showtime"... Yes indeed it's showtime. Finally.
So hopefully, we have proper Internet now. I can resume work for Sitka (thanks to Miss T for letting me slide a few weeks getting settled) and we can once again resume contact with friends and family.. : ))) Which, as you can guess, is very very important to us. ; )
Hopefully, by the time I ever have to do this again the Thai will just be flying out. : P
Photos coming soon!
15 years ago
3 comments:
Yeah!!! Internet!!! It's the little things, right? Just prepare yourself for the days when it doesn't work. There will be no reason for it then it will come back on. Plus when blogger won't load. Patience is a virtue and it sure beats not having access at all. Don't worry about being the only ones. You are falang, your'e weird whatever you do. You get used to it. So glad to hear from you two again and look forward to the pics!
mandachino
Nice! I'm glad you guys are connected back to the Mother Node so that we can more easily harass you.
But the really important thing is whether or not you got a picture of that truck. : )
Sooooo, you want internet falang?
Nooooooo problem. You got baht?
Post a Comment