Rice Field - Vang Vieng LaosThe French have an expression: "the Vietnamese plant the rice, the Cambodians watch it grow and the Lao listen to it grow...."
This afternoon we were talking to people and I realized how my brain is already going into "sabaidee" mode versus "sawatdee kaa" and that I am really looking forward to being able to communicate with people easier. Altho, we still need to learn Thai. Well, J at least more than me. I plead the skirt. It's interesting however that Sabai is a common expression in both languages. Things can be "sabai sabai" easy easy.. or relaxed.. In Lao you would say, Sabai bo? ( OK, right?) and in Thai it's similar.. Sabai mai? (Good, right?) Muunii puak khoi bpen sabai sabai. Today we are both sabai..
If you were peering into our apartment on this cloudy Sunday afternoon we probably look as mellow sabai..as you get. Me, researching teaching kids English and J putting the beloved motorcy on CL. (no, that is not a typo..around here a scooter is simply called a "motorcy" who knows what happened to the ..cle ending.) We probably should be packing but I figure we could pack this place up in a day easy. So, what's the point right now. We're turning Thai... or Scarlet O'Hara.. I'll think about that..tomorrow..
You see allot of people just sleeping in the afternoon. The truck drivers even carry hammocks with them and put up a hammock UNDER their trailer. At the moment, it sounds like a good idea...a nap that is. *yawn* The hum of the ceiling fan cancels out the noise from the neighbors and the artifical breeze provides some comfort to sleep to.
In the meantime..
If anyone has any useful advice on teaching a roomful of 6-13 year old I am ALL ears. It's a little mortifying to me actually. Kids. In multiple numbers. Time to really put that TESOL training in use. : P What was it... all the verbs in a Mr. Bean episode? Time to review the mind mapped notes..
As for this little blog, I think we'll try to keep it going. Thanks Frank : )
4 comments:
Sweet. We love you guys and love hearing about you. As for teaching the kids...if you can download a kids song call"head, shoulders,knees, and toes" the kids love it. Amanda uses it in her classes.
What!? If you can't tell us everything then we get nothing!? ; p
I for one hope to see the blog live a little longer. It's been nice to check it every so often and see that a new chapter has been added to your book of experiences. At the very least it's a good writing exercise. : )
But as long as we get updates in some form or another we don't mind what channel you use.
The blog will love on. Sorry for the scare. : ) Hope everyone is well.
We move tomorrow... see you on the flip!
Hey guys!! I am so excited for you. Thank you for not giving up on the blog, we have hated that! You are our ticket to another world. Don't worry about the things you have to leave behind, they will be replaced a hundred fold. It's a promise, remember. We can't wait to visit you.
Post a Comment