One of the incredibly affordable things to do in Thailand is take cooking classes. At one of the more tourist (ie. expensive) places a day of lessons will cost you under 30.00 (at the current exchange 1$ is about 33 Thai Bhat) The whole Lao / Thai experience is what won over this long time vegetarian. Actually it was getting fed while visiting people and being unable to explain my not eating meat ethics is what did it.. Anyway, that's not the point. : P
Some men love grilling... J however, dearly loves his Wok. Since we moved into this house I have heard quite a bit of complaining about not being able to really use a wok. (Electric, no gas) So this summer we set up an "outdoor kitchen". I've been learning a whole new way of cooking..juggling woks and rice steamer baskets. Kinda like not being in the middle of this New England village but in a far off place. My friend and I used to joke about opening a noodle cart downtown. I'm getting practice. (I still love the noodle cart idea)(I just wanted to simply post a recipe ....I can never just write something simply..LOL) Do what we did, ask a friend for a Banana leaf.. (quite a few people have the plants as outdoor decor this time of year..so as long as they haven't been feeding it battery acid you should be fine) Better than buying the frozen things.
If you don't have a sticky rice basket / steamer just do it as a water bath steam in your oven. Super simple. Serve with sticky rice. Or jasmine rice.
Hok Ma Plaa
1/4 cup coconut milk
1 tbsp. red curry paste (kaeng khu)
1 whole beaten till frothy egg (altho, you really only end up using 1/2)
1 tbsp. fish sauce
1 tsp. sugar
200 gram Fish fillet (about 29 grams to ounces there) (anykind, I like red snapper or a white fish like cod)
1/4 sweet basil leaf minced
1 leaf kaffir lime (or a little lemon zest)
Mix curry and coconut together in a bowl till smooth.
Add half the egg, blend well.
Stir in fish suace, sugar and kaffir lime. Gently mix in fish. Marinate in frigde about 2 hours. (or overnight)
OK. Technically you fold the banana leaf into individual cups. Or you can do what we did and line a *metal* steamer or colander with the banana and pour mixture over. Secure leaf close with toothpick. (Funny thing, in Thailand they used a stapler.. I just can't bring myself to staple my food)
Steam for about 20 min. Garnish with chilies and basil.
Saep lai!
Well now, it's raining..thunderstorms. Considering J rode his motorcycle to work today (what rain gear!?) I'm thinking I might have to go pick him up ... soggy ride to study tonight otherwise. : P
Enjoy your week : D

2 comments:
Hi K....,
Z from new Mexico.
I like the blog idea and have looked at the site each day since the notice it was up.
Spoke Lao today to a 20-something Laotian born in US. Good to use what I know, and may have study out of it. Need help... hint to you and J.
Keep up the blog, it keeps me in touch.
Thanks Z! We most definitely want to try to visit.. maybe this winter. Wish driving wasn't so expensive, met another doing this out in Arkansas right off Rt. 40 .. we'd love to make a road trip : D
Say hola to everyone : )
Post a Comment