Same Same But Different.I love the fact instead of there being a unique word for "different" it just, "not same" literally.
You see T-shirt in all the tourist markets in Laos with that on them. I never did figure out what it means. I've read a couple variations.
Today however, I'm using it for the maddening relationship between the Lao language and the Thai language. Keugan Keugan Bo Keugan. (Insert visual of my brain feeling that that old "this in your brain on drugs" with egg frying commercial. Yes, learning language can sometimes feel like that.) : D
Now, many Lao can read Thai. TV is watched Thai, music is listened to in Thai. Many will tell you, if you can read Lao you can read some Thai. I liken it to the difference between Spanish and Portuguese. Wiki says about them "Although they are closely related, to the point of having a noticeable degree of mutual intelligibility, there are also important differences between them, which can pose difficulties for people acquainted with one of the languages who attempt to learn the other."
In our area we pretty much just use Lao d to d unless we get to know them. It means more to have things in Lao. (Like giving a Portuguese person Spanish things I suppose)
However, all the books used for our gatherings are Thai. Except the big one. They just dont come in Lao yet. So, last night J and I are studying for the upcoming talk and study this weekend. (He's the chairman, poor guy...I am so thankful for being female!) But even tho we just discussed coveting, I admit it, I am. I am really coveting a magazine in Lao. This is as we are trying to prepare comments based on a English magazine and a Thai one to try to put some Lao grammar together to form sentences that actually sound somewhat correct. After all, this is only our 2nd gathering in 2 years.. I'd like not to inspire a chuckle this time : P
You could in theory say, just learn Thai. We're trying. A little. We have to, to understand the books that aren't translated into Lao yet..(everything in your bag on a Wed/ or Thursday PM.) Endurance.
I feel like I'm in elementary school.
It's an uphill walk. 3 miles in the snow. Both ways. Barefoot. In the dark.
: P
* alphabet drawings by the fabulous Ms. T @ a Monday eve. study session.
3 comments:
Hey! I remember when T-Dawg drew that at Ziggety's house. I have a picture of her drawing it, nursing a beer. Snoogins!
Chaddystyle- If we didn't know you that comment would almost sound scary.. : D Yes, we miss the Monday PM food/study sessions.... : ( Hope to restart them at some point..
I was just trying to use the initials like you do when you're trying to keep it covert. I didn't know if there was already another T and Z, so it became T-Dawg and Ziggety.
Post a Comment