Friday, October 16, 2009

Random Bits # 2

As you may have noticed, I'm writing a bit more again. I think it's because my head is finally decompressing from all the moving around we've done the past few months and I can almost ALMOST put together a complete thought longer than 140 characters. :)

Anyway. Here some random bits kicking around the noggin' tonight.

1.) I've almost given up on the feet thing. Yes, shoes off. But I've taken to using my foot to close pull down the gate to lock our apartment. (Big metal blind ..think city) then padlock it. Sorry, what looks worse.. me using my feet or trying to squish down low enough while holding a backpack and helmet.

2.) In America, I insisted J wear proper clothing "armor" when driving his bike. What if he got in an accident? Here I wear dress shoes and skirts 90% of the time when driving my scooter. (!!)

3.) We carry "safety" money on us at all times. Yes, it's a target for theft, but hospitals wont treat you if you can't pay. If you come across an accident and decide to do the right thing and BRING someone to the hospital, be prepared to pay for them. Thankfully medical things cost allot less here.

4.) If you decide you want a bank statement you have to go to the bank to pick it up. Considering this is a country that a few years only had 1 ATM things are drasically improving. Yes, we have an ATM card now even.

5.) You are on your own allot. Unfortunalty, many Lao people feel uncomfortable about being seen with a foreigner. It can get downright lonely. I recomend coming with a room mate or partner. ; ) I'm learning to face it...as much as I'd like.. I don't blend. :/

6.) There is no tax on alcohol. A bottle of Bombay Saph. is 13. USD. Which compared to Lao brands is peng lai (very expensive). Our whiskey that we use to make mint juleps is 2.50 USD.

7.) You will start saving every jar, bottle, bag etc in site. Although there may be no tax on alcohol everything else is expensive.

8.) You worry because you own a GENUINE Honda so you make sure you only use the paid parking at the markets and even then you worry. 90% of Hondas here are made in China. No Honda parts on them. You feel silly owning a genuine Honda but you wanted something mostly reliable and automatic.

9.) More scooter talk: Insist on buying a bike with drum brakes. There will be the day your husband nearly misses a Charcoal truck with you on the back sidesaddle and instead of laying the bike down he manages to go around it. Then he leans back and says..... "THAT's why I insist on drum brakes.." Drum or Disk... now I'm confused. Our guy readers can clue me in. J's not here for me to ask right now... :D

10.) My favorite: It is illegal to drive with your headlights on during the day. But "bo pen nyang" (no worries) about not having them at night. (!!) AND lastly.. you use your left signal to go left, your right signal to go right but sometimes you use your HAZARDS if you just want to go straight.


Can't you see why we love it here? :D

Happy Friday!