Wednesday, September 17, 2008

"dollar dollar dollar"


That's what some of the street vendors in Luang Prabang Laos call out at the night market to "falang" foreigners. It's either that or "lucky lucky lucky", esp. after you made a purchase (For obv. reasons I won’t be calling out Lucky Lucky Lucky ... ::grin::)

Maybe the title will be the call phrase this Saturday.

Sat. we are having another yard sale. Woo-hoo. Second one of the year. How not excited am I. Actually, I am. Well, OK not really, but I'm exited to have the inside of my home no longer look like a swap meet and maybe make some "dollar" to feed what we've nick named the ALF fund. (Asia - Lao -Fund...no not that ALF) Really tho, going thru your possessions and arguing in your head what ones you are the most sentimental about.. anyone who's gone thru it knows how not exciting it is. I envy J in that regard. He'd dump it most of it at a thrift store if he had his way. Really. (and I already checked Uhaul storage..oh my... a 4 x 4 x 7 for 50 a month! yikes! no way is that happening.)

So, to update... no interest whatsoever in the house. (See crickets post) In that vain, going with plan B until plan A works out we have decided to rent this place out. Not really the best option but we'll have to "make it work". (Perhaps, Yes I am quoting Tim Gunn..ehem) Hence "dollar dollar dollar"... and downsize hopefully Nov / Dec. into our tiny CF place. One friend said we should go anyway to Asia and he'll watch our place if it's rented. Says he watches 9 properties already, what's one more. Of course, I'm wondering how that would financially be possible, but we'll see..

It's really amazing how people pull together to help you out. Kindness is overwhelming. "It makes me misty" to quote S. our language teacher.

We now are waiting on our 2nd letter from the Thailand HQ to see exactly were we should be headed. (Laos? Thailand? English? Thai? Lao? Lahu?) I'll be happy to have a place in mind and be able to have some set goal or mental picture. And to know what language exactly we should be focusing on studying. : P

At present however, I must study for trying to sound somewhat knowledgeable tomorrow. Or attempt to.

That's all she wrote. For today. : D

1 comment:

Frank said...

I think I have heard this story before. It sounds quite like what we have been going through. We are really excited for you. We know that JH is going to help you. Just remember, to qutoe the Stones, "you can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes you just might find you get what you need." (Can you believe that some how from the stupor Mick Jagger actually gave some good advice!)