People often ask us, how are you learning Lao. (There is no local class other than @ the temple.) Well, it's like a patchwork quilt really. SEAsite of Northern Illinois University has been more than wonderful. I have been trying to copy and download everything in fear they ever take it down or I lose internet. Then we have 2 Lao friends who take turns on a somewhat regular monthly basis with a 2 hour class, aside from that... we are on our own. Honestly, talking to people and studies has really been the best way. We finally are able to read and write somewhat OK. (I was super impressed Thursday when J. actually read to a woman because she can't read) Speaking is still harder. Pesky tones. Our dictionaries are getting well worn. I taped mine back together the other day. There are really only 2 decent dictionaries in Lao if you are looking. The one by Benjawan Poomsan Becker and the one by Russell Marcus. Neither contains the word for "papaya" (mak hung) which if you've spent anytime in "Lao Land" as I say, is rather absurd and honestly says something about the depth of the dictionary. But we take what we can get. (There is another dictionary a study has but I looked it up on Amazon and it's around $200) There is no Rosetta stone, no Pimsleur.. however I do have a set of homemade recorded tapes from a bookshop in Laos. I need to find a way to get them to CD. (ideas?) But really...slim picking for learning. OK, there is a book / cd set.. which I have heard conflicts from some about.. (like vowels being incorrect..) so..my advice if you learning is start with SEAsite. Besides, you can say you learned Lao @ a University. (LOL. and it's free.. reminds me of watching Good Will Hunting on TNT the other night, about "an education you coulda got for $1.50 in late fees at the public library" )
I'm getting distracted. (Need more coffee) Point being slim picking for study materials.
But then... Wed. on a letter posted to all we got 3 new things! That's 5 things in the course of one year!! A big book, a yellow book and now Wed; the new book from the DC, Suffering tract and the tract for the upcoming Oct-Nov. event! In Lao! Now, You can consider this pretty amazing ...try finding books on Amazon written in Lao. Or anywhere online for that matter. So, we are beyond excited.. lots more things to be able to study and learn from. The *really* exciting thing is too with the new book from the DC our study can attend come Feb. and finally have a meeting book in his own language and not Thai. Which is the point of all the planting. We are also planning to cover all our area when we finally get our shipment of books. (Hence trying to remember new intro)
We are also happy because in the past few months we've "met" via email some others around the country doing the same language. (Kansas, TX, Arkansas, CA, Ohio, FL.. ) It's nice to feel part of a group even if there isn't a group locally. Small beginnings.
"Seeds" The past few study articles are really inspiring, aren't they?
Where else would you have such a feast!!?
PS. No "dollar dollar dollar" J had last min. Congo things so try again this week.. I look forward to seeing clean floor space again. : P
2 comments:
The spirit that you both have is really inspiring. Please keep it up!
You guys the same! We'll be "cheering" for you ; D
Post a Comment