Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Jot Mai (The Letter)

Our letter finally came. YEAH!

We half expected a "stay where you are". Really. There is allot of work to do in this area and we kept wondering if it was direction to stay here.

However in the mail a few days ago was a 2 page letter about 1 place. We are still wrapping our head around it all. We are beyond excited.

We have a city. It's not in Laos, it's across the river in Thailand. It's a typical study in contrasts, modern mixed with rural traditions. It's small for what I've grown to consider a city, but seems to have everything one needs in a city. A hospital, schools, markets etc. And a really creepy Buddhist statue park I hope to never have to see.

You can stand on the river promenade and wave across to Laos. Many of the people speak Lao. (History: it was once part of Laos) It's common for people from Laos to come over for a day to do shopping, visit family, go to the hospital etc. So, our letter gave us names of friends in this new city that will be expecting us and can help with housing etc.

According to our letter they are going to be making a bigger place to get together that will accommodate some extra traffic. One of my friends in Laos is excited because her and I will be able to see each other often, despite being in 2 different countries.

Of course, this set upon us the realization that we *must* in fact learn Thai. (no english there) ..and I'm not sure if you remember my post about that most of the books we use are in Thai, not Lao. kuegan kuegan bo kuegan (same same but different) AGHH! LOL!! : D (Poor J.. he's got it worse, poor guy..talking about getting thrown into the fire!)

So. 28 weeks. 7 months. Leave the end of May. I know it will go by quick. We wish it was longer but sadly right now (trying to be practical) we are saying we are commiting to 3-6 months.(hopefully the later) Just the housing market being what it is and all. We might have to do a little back and forth. Who knows. We're open. We are confident things will work themselves out. ; )

So...in the meantime, we can quote the same sentiment our friends in China were feeling not long ago..

"There is so much to do in that time. We have to get our visas, sell the house, figure out how we will do our banking abroad, have a yard sale, visit family and friends, to name just a few things." -Bruces

I'll end with some photos of the city I found online. We've never seen it either so, your view is as good as ours. : D

Love,
The Kids



3 comments:

Frank said...

We are sooooo excited for you! We definitely know what you are going through. Don't worry, you will get what you need. It may not be what you expect, or come when you want it to, but you will get what you NEED. We are going to be neighbors. Please keep in touch. We will probably have to do a visa run and now we will have friends to visit.

Frank said...

Oh, aren't you going to have to change the name of your blog now?

Jake said...

The Kids go to Thailand! I'm crazy excited for you guys!

I'll admit that I'm selfishly happy in the sense that I can't wait to visit you guys there. ; )

Any way I can help just let me know. You are going to have a fantastic adventure and I can't wIt to hear your experiences from it. Love you guys!