According to Wiki Adaptation is "the change in living organisms that allow them to live successfully in an environment. Adaptations enable living organisms to cope with environmental stresses and pressures."
In Thai Adaptation is gaan bpràp bproong การปรับปรุง . It literally means to "work at improving".
I was thinking of Adaptation because we just purchased a laptop for the journey and with it, I bought an outlet adapter. I was later annoyed because I found the same adapter almost 1/2 price elsewhere online. I shouldn't beat myself up to much, it was $15 not $50, but still.. I'm adapting to looking a money in a new way. (A non-renewable for a few months kinda way.)
I'm also adapting to mentally preparing myself for the first month there. Yesterday waiting for paint to dry (literally) I found a few photos online of 2 of the potential "guesthouses" where we will most likely be spending the first month. It was recommended to us to do this; then check what is available once there.
Option A (red house) is the less expensive option. It has a fan /TV. It also has a private bathroom. It also has some holes I noticed in the planks of wood on the inside (A private entry doors for mosquitoes and ants? Hello duct tape. ). It's also not in the center of town. (good and bad)
We've already been told though by friends there we need to have motorbike (scooter) license as that's the means of transport. (J's overjoyed.)
Option B is more expensive, you share a bath and your neighbors are a thin wall away. : / No holes tho. Next to a major market and on the Mekong. (good and bad) But once again, almost 2x the cost. I've written to ask for advice. (no dumb questions, right?) The plus side to both is beautiful beautiful gardens. I can deal with living almost anywhere as long as there is some green. : D Thailand/Laos is good for lush green. You almost can't avoid it.
It sent me into a mini talk-to-myself-remind-me-why-this-is-a-good-idea-panic attack for a few extended moments. (Yes, to teach to people, learn language better, live simple, eat some good food..yeah yeah yeah..OK.. breathing again. LOL. )
Note: for any potential visitors (hint hint) there are a couple swankier places to stay (with AC).. we're just thinking humble, clean, affordable at present.
What's the word.... Adaptation? : D
Today, I don't have any secular work (good and bad) so I'm going to be cleaning, sorting etc. But before that I took some time to think a little more about the meaning of Adaptation. (Really it started because I was thinking of this over-priced outlet adapter again ) Anyway, I did a little research and found an interesting article, that when I look at backwards.. is actually rather very helpful.
g92 5/8 p. 8
Aright, back to work. : )
2 comments:
Wow this is exciting stuff!
Steph & I read your post and both agreed that we don't need AC or swank to visit you. We'd be happy to visit you in option A. : )
Keep it up! You're doing it, you're doing it!
For what it's worth: We recently spent some time with some friends who go to Thailand regularly. They told us not to worry too much about finding a place to stay. They said that they never pre-book a room they always find better deals once they are there. We will probably visit in January, so we will give you a report.
Post a Comment